11/11/2011

The fine art of...?

I saw an interesting FB post last night. I wont say who by. I don't want to start any conflicts. When I started reading it, I thought it was a really positive and carefully thought out article, pointing out that there is a massive amount of attention being given to these horrible poppy burning extremists - and yet nobody is giving any publicity to the hundreds of Muslims who go out collecting for the British Legion.


It was really disappointing that the post almost instantly degenerated into anti-government and anti-establishment ranting that had nothing to do with the original post.


I can already hear most of you saying 'so what', and yes this sort of thing happens all the time. What disturbed me was the well reasoned argument I typed in - and then deleted! It took me a few minutes to understand why I had done it.


This is the name I publish Young Adult fiction under. My alter-ego publishes other stuff. In either case, it seems my politics and views don't always fly in the same direction as those of my peers, and the people I hope will some day publish me. I'm not used to worrying so much about what other people think of me. I'm certainly not used to worrying about what I say. I have a right to my opinion, and in most cases the right to state it, and in the past I've never been too backward in exercising either.


So am I constraining myself to present a certain image, or am I just growing up a little and learning to keep my mouth shut?


Beats me :)

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps a lot of both. Sometimes a long silence conveys greater wisdom than any amount of random bloviation.

    Edit: Captcha word "bloggo."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Alex. To misquote: "better to keep you peace and be thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm it"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sense of humour seems to be showing itself at its best at the moment... However, silence only has its strength when it's unusual...

    ReplyDelete